Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I love sports. They are incredibly fun, especially with good friends, and they're also a great way to stay fit and active. Nothing did I love more in high school than coming home and playing pick-up basketball or football with my closest buddies. Besides my immense love for the fun and competition of sports, I have a deeper passion for these games because I know they are more than just a fun way to exercise. Had I not played sports competitively in high school, I would not be the person I am today. This is because sports can be a great teacher for those who dedicate themselves to attend it's classes. There are an infinite number of lessons I've learned from my experiences, but to name a few, I've learned patience, dedication, motivation, how to perform under pressure, how to deal with failure and come back stronger, and how to lead by example. These are all characteristics that I will try to impart on my children by involving them in sports at an early age. I have a love for the game, and I will for the rest of my life. I will be forever grateful for the experience I gained through competitive sports that I can already see shaping the man I am and will become.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you say sports are incredibly fun. I never played competitive sports in high school, but I did have many friends who did. I was always impressed with how well they played their given sport. What impressed me even more was their discipline. I had a cousin that I was grew up with and I watched as he went from practice to games to work outs. He was always doing something and working to get better. Even though he was often busy with sports, he wasn't too busy to play some pick up games with people. I would often play games with him and his friends and it would get pretty competitive. My cousin is on a mission now and I haven't been able to play basketball with him for awhile now, but I am still grateful and can see the impact those times had on my life. I grew closer to everyone in the group when I played basketball with them. We would constantly be changing teams and playing with different people in the group. We would work together and everyone was positive. Even in losses we would all be cool with it. It was an awesome time and something I will always remember as a great time in high school. Anyways, I wanted to say thanks for the topic and the post. I agree that sports are important and participation in high school sports can be an amazing opportunity for students as they grow up. I look forward to learning more about your thoughts on high school sports!

    ReplyDelete