Coping with failure is something most people struggle with at some point in their lives. Of course, it's no fun to fail, and I know I've struggled with the motivation to get back up after failure has knocked me down. However, in my time of playing high school sports, I've gained insight into how to deal with failure. As most people know, competitive sports always end one
way; with a winner and a loser. I've had my share of both sweet, hard earned
victories and heart wrenching losses. Those tough losses are jam-packed full of
teaching opportunities. Did you know that Steve Jobs was originally fired from
a head position of the company he owned before he went on to Apple? That’s a
failure. But did Jobs quit when things seemed dim and bleak? Obviously he
didn't, because he went on to develop the corporate beast that is Apple Inc. My
senior season, our basketball team beat a rival who had beaten us for 7 years
straight at our home court. It was the greatest night of my life, and after the
game our coach told us, through tears of joy, that we were able to accomplish
this feat because of what we learned from tough and undeserved losses earlier
in the season. There were days were Coach was screaming at us in practice, days
we were in the gym for 4 hours running and working to correct our weaknesses.
In all honesty, those days were not fun. We endured the brutal days of seeming
torture because we knew, although we had failed before, that we would have
another shot, and we were willing to do all in our power to ensure that we made
the most of that shot. Because of this deep rooted desire to get back up after
being knocked down in the sporting world, I am able to redirect this same
feeling into my schoolwork and other areas of life. Without the help of
competitive sports, where sometimes you have to taste defeat, I’m not sure how
well equipped I’d be to deal with the future failures of life that I know are
coming.
I love this blog. I myself am also an avid sports guy. I never played on a high school team, but I still never minded playing a pick up game with some guys. I was on an intramural frisbee team during the fall semester, and I definitely can see how this blog applied there. I think that defeat is something that everyone needs to face. And hopefully sooner than later. That way they can actually learn how to deal with it before it consumes them. I know that i have experienced defeat in my life, both on the field and in the classroom. Learning to deal with it is one of things that has helped me be successful so far in my life. Thank you for your posts, and I look forward to reading them in the future.
ReplyDelete