Thursday, February 6, 2014

Learning to accept constructive criticism and apply it to ourselves is a tough lesson to learn. No one likes to be told they're imperfect or wrong, especially not in front of their friends. Near the beginning of my first year of high school basketball, I seriously struggled with this concept. My coach was on me every day, seemingly just calling me out for every single thing and proclaiming to the whole team how awful I was. I was convinced he was a jerk and was simply out to get me. After talking to him about this situation in private, my opinion completely changed. He told me that he knew how good I was and can be. He told me that he couldn't accept anything less than what I was capable of. It was then that I realized all the screaming and yelling directed at me was for my own good. If Coach stopped yelling at me and pointing out the things I did wrong, that must mean he doesn't care about my evolution as a player anymore. I began to see his criticisms in a whole new light. This view can be applied to countless areas of every day life. Constructive criticism is for our own benefit, and it should be taken as such. Whether it be a boss, coworker, or husband/wife, criticisms come on a very regular basis. Being able to internalize the criticisms, see what needs fixing or improved, and being motivated to change or fix it is a crucial skill that will give you a headstart in life if you learn it early. I know I learned this lesson through my experiences in high school sports, and others can too if they pursue a competitive sport.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I think it is very important lesson that everyone needs to learn! I have learned how to take constructive criticism recently. It is a great lesson that has been super helpful to me. I never like to hear what I am doing wrong, but I have learned to love hearing what I can do to make myself be better. That is the mind frame that I had to get into to accept criticism: not that there was something wrong with me, but that there is something that I can do to make myself a better person!

    ReplyDelete