Monday, February 3, 2014

I watched a movie the other night titled "Wasteland." This topic isn't really related to my regular blog topic of sports, but I feel it important to digress and give my opinion on this film. It details the journey of an artist who travels to the world's largest landfill in hopes of creating artwork inspired by the pickers, or people who harvest the landfill of recyclable materials and sell them for profits. Once the artwork was created, all the profits gained from their sale was donated to the pickers organization. When they first showed the landfill I was shocked. That thing is HUGE! So much trash and garbage piled extremely high and spread across miles of land. Vik Muniz, the artist, introduces himself to a few of the pickers. They have a hard life, as the documentary depicts them climbing on hills of trash scavenging for what they consider valuables. They pose for pictures, and some of the pictures are very powerful. Personally, I enjoyed this film because it really opened my eyes to the struggles some people have, and what they have to do to get by and provide for their families. Muniz does a fantastic job capturing the struggles but also the attitudes of the pickers in his images, and the documentary takes you through their entire journey. I would recommend this film to anyone who is even slightly interested in documentaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment